I decided to make a personalized and stylish ID tag for my bag. Though many would say that ID tags are only for identifying the luggage in a plethora of other similar luggage, but I consider it a way of adding style to the luggage we carry. It is not only for you, but you can also present ID tags as a gift to your friends who are planning for a trip.
I will go with leather for this particular project because of its durability. Your personalized ID tags will last throughout the trip if built from leather. In addition, I had some scrap to deal with. This particular project would require minimal hand-sewing and that would be easier for all of you. There is nothing you cannot do while doing other stuff, like watching your favorite show on the television. So, let’s get started.
- 2 leather pieces (Do not pick too thick)
- Round container or cup
- Pen or colored pencil
- X-Acto knife
- Embroidery Floss
- Threading needle
- Ribbon or leather strip
Steps to follow:
- The process starts with putting leather pieces upside down on a flat surface.
- Use a cup or another round container as a stencil. Put it in the middle and trace the edge. Repeat the same with another piece of leather.
- Pick your scissor and cut down the traced circles.
- Now pick an x-Acto knife and use it to cut out 3-sided flap on one of the two leather pieces. This flap will work as a window for the ID placed below it.
- Now take both leather pieces and place them above each other by keeping the smooth sides up. Use the scissors or any other tool to trim the edges.
- Now start sewing both pieces together. Start stitching from the top side and sew towards down. Leave the top left side for a while.
- Glue your ID card in-between both leather pieces and then stitch the remaining portion of the leather pieces.
To hang the leather ID tag, you must cut a small slit over the top of the leather pieces and then slide a ribbon through it. Your Id tag is ready and now you are ready to carry it with your luggage.