Lost Sock Organizer

The legend of the Dryer Monster eating socks has been passed down from one generation to the next since the dawn of time. Or at least since the very first dryer was plugged in. I remember my mom had a round laundry basket filled with socks who were lost from their mates. If we were lucky one of us kid’s got to pair up the socks for cash. If we were unlucky we had to pair them up for punishment. And I mean it was a BIG basket. But have no fear the Sock Organizer is here. Bye Bye big baskets full of lost socks!

This project is very simple and can be completed during a drying cycle! I used an old wooden window frame to make my Lost Sock Organizer, but a picture frame would work great too. I picked up three of these shabby frames, for $5 each at a swap meet! Little did I know, at the time, it was my first step towards the death of the Dryer Monster.
I sanded one, just a bit, where any paint was chipping, but wanted to keep the character of the frame with all it’s painted layers.
Me and this roll of wire has been waiting for quite some time now. So, I figured if I cut a little piece off, it wouldn’t hurt my chances of one day getting my coop.
I then gathered up the rest of my supplies. A staple gun, jute twine and a pack of wooden clothes pins.
The first thing I did was tie a few knots in one end of the twine and then staple it to the back of my frame. I didn’t want the twine to try and slip through the staple, freeing the lost socks. You know, just in case the Dryer Monster bribed the twine into doing so.
To make sure the twine hang the way I wanted it, I attached a few pins to see how it would look. It’s a good idea to do this before you cut the other end of your twine, tie it and staple it down in case it is too long or too short. I speak from experience.
Once you have your sock-hanging line up, it’s time to attach the chicken wire with a few more staples. After doing so, I realized the back of my frame would be kinda scratchy, so I rummaged through my crafting supply and found this stuff. I’m not quite sure what it’s supposed to be used for, but it was perfect. I grabbed my hot glue gun and glued it down the edges of the wire, so it wouldn’t scratch up the wall. Or a thick ribbon would do the job.
That’s it. Simple. But the dryer was still drying. So I decided to add a fun touch.
I loved the cute saying “Searching: Sole Mates”. I whipped up a quick batch of my own chalkboard paint from some green paint I had leftover. I added a simple stripe to the top of my frame. I thought the typical black color would be too harsh. Learn how to make your own chalkboard paint in ANY COLOR here!
There.  And just as the dryer belched his final “I’m done and full of socks” buzz!  Here is how it looks hanging in my laundry room.
Expand and Read More