Am I the only one that gets a little excited about spring cleaning? I actually enjoy the cleaning part. I know… weird. That’s why I thought I would do a little spring cleaning segment. So, here it is! Today I wanted to share how to wash your comforter at home without taking it to a laundromat or the dry cleaners.
I don’t know about you, but my comforter for my king bed is way too big for my washing machine. Therefore, it only gets washed about once a year. Gross right? I have to warn you. This post is a little graphic… and a lot embarrassing. But it is the cold hard truth.
1. Start by cleaning your bath tub.
2. Fill your bathtub with hot water and add a little laundry detergent.
3. Throw your comforter in.
4. Change into some shorts and take off your shoes. Now step on your comfortor like you would if you were squishing grapes to make… wine? 🙂 Keep doing this until you get an insanely gross amount of dirt out of it. I know… ew.
5. Drain tub. Repeat steps 2-5 until you have a tub that looks like this:
6. Get as much water out of it as you can. Hang to dry over shower (do not do this if you just have a rod) it will be WAY too heavy. If you have a line you could hang it on use that. If not, get your kitchen chairs, put them out on the lawn in a circle, and hang your comforter over the chairs.
7. Let dry for about 6 hours. At this point you should be able to pick it up without it dripping everywhere and it should be mostly dry.
8. Toss it in the dryer on LOW heat. Throw a clean tennis ball in the dryer.
9. Make bed and enjoy how lovely your comforter smells. 🙂